From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2023 07:14:07 -0400
> For those interested in a goal of landscape-scale resistance (and/or at
least tolerance)

... there are dozens of ill-informed, ill-advised, well-intentioned
self-anointed messiahs with "methods" based upon wishful thinking and the
same poor grip on data management and statistics that results in yet another
company with yet another "free energy" and/or perpetual motion machine every
few years.

What these beekeepers have ALMOST works, but not quite.
And "not quite" means "not at all" with things like varroa.

We've had several presented here, and some got some traction for a time.  I
was taken in by one briefly, search for "powdered sugar" and "powered sugar"
(as I am typo machine).  Others continued to be taken in by this
non-solution, multiple magazine articles were written without the benefit of
statistically significant data, and the multiple papers having the
prerequisite statistically significant data caused only a slow walk-back of
claims, not an honest admission that something that only "works" in
conjunction with drone brood removal might as well be abandoned, as the
drone-brood removal was clearly doing all the heavy lifting, as it works
just fine all by itself.

Is there are "landscape scale" solution?  The fact that there is so much
talk clearly signals "no, not yet".  Will this solution come from the
beekeepers, or from the folks with statistically significant data sets and
refereed papers in legit journals?

I have confidence in the same exact process that created the knowledge that
allows me to type this message, and be absolutely certain that the message
will get to where I sent it within minutes, even if you happen to be using a
cellphone in another country.  I have no confidence in the limited resources
and limited skillset inherent in the "single beekeeper" model of anything
less than a team of researchers working together.

Beekeeping attracts guys with a certain form of narcissism that encourages
them to disbelieve and loudly disagree with things that they don't
understand, and this is a darn shame when so many colleges have put their
courses online, for free:

MIT
Harvard
Stanford
Yale
U Pennsylvania
Carnegie Mellon
U Michigan
Duke
U Florida
Johns Hopkins University
Utah State
University of California, Irvine
UNC Chapel Hill
THE Ohio State University
Michigan State
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Georgia Institute of Technology
U Maryland
University of Cambridge
California Institute of the Arts
U Pittsburgh
U Washington

Any of the above are certain to have the classes that can teach anyone the
basics of dribbling and passing in the game of science, which has become a
team sport in the past few decades, as getting anything worthwhile done, is
not going to be a job for a one-man band.

Theres simply no excuse for claiming ignorance any longer.  If one is too
busy keeping bees to bother, that's fine, but arguments from a position of
misinformation is hurting beekeeping far more than the varroa.