Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 2019 23:12:34 -0600
Hi Alvin:

I normally winter doubles. The vent hole is only in the bottom one. For most
of my hives I group them in a line of five and pull them tight together and
surround them with 1" styrofoam. On top they have an insulated inner cover
( 1" styrofoam encased in 1/4" plywood) a 2'' thick sheet of styrofoam
covering all 5 hives and a 1/4" plywood weather cover.

I believe this works here because the winters here are so dry. I doubt that
it would work in a more humid environment. I have observed them through a
clear plastic lid set up and it seems that a lot of the water condenses on
the walls and does not wet the cluster. We end up with a lot of hard
granulated canola honey here and the water may be helping them to soften it
for food.

Part of the rational for top entrances is to provide  ventilation when the
regular bottom board entrance is plugged with snow, ice or dead bees. The
hole 3" up in the bottom super is kept open by the bees who seem to cluster
mainly around and above it.

Best Regards

Donald Aitken, Edmonton Alberta

53° 41' 51" N 113° 37' 32" W