From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2018 07:55:26 +1000
Randy wrote

< We've used fume boards with either benz or butyric for many years with great success.  Both products are commonly found in food, so I can't imagine why there is any concern about residues in honey.

I have been told it is not the fact that they are found in food, in this case honey, but that they are above the naturally occurring level which then makes it a residue.

The classic example would be zinc where zinc does naturally occur in honey but that elevated levels are then classed as a residue.  Not sure if it is still the case but Switzerland used to have an MRL for zinc of 150ppm.

With repellents such as butyric anhydride there is research out of Canada that shows that using this does increase the amount in honey so it is then a residue.

With carbolic acid any found in honey is classed as a residue.

With benzaldehyde the same story, if above the naturally occurring level, being then classed as a residue.

Trevor Weatherhead
Australia