Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2018 09:38:03 -0400
> Michael Bush's left-behind box tactic.

Hi all,

This is exactly the opposite of what you should do. You should completely obliterate any sign a hive was at the old site, that forces the bees to go looking for it. I moved a single hive about 100 feet from the front of my house to the back. They immediately found it and there were no stragglers.

When making splits in the same yard, this principal also applies. If nothing looks the same, it forces them to accommodate to the new situation. I learned this many years ago listening to a commercial beekeeper describe his method of making nucs from full colonies. He insisted that nothing should be the same, not even the pallets.

I have always wanted to see someone do a study that really nailed what bees can and cannot recognize. I touched upon this topic in my most recent article in the May issue of Bee Culture, titled "What do bees see?" Check it out.

Pete B