From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2018 10:22:22 -0400
> I have seen at least three A mellifera hives with an entrance at ground

Well, me too. But that was in San Diego where there is a lack of hollow trees and lots of caves and holes in the sandstone. Here in NYS they are so many hollow trees they can pick and choose. I have 4+ acres of woods, and there a dozens of suitable nest sites. I have never seen a swarm move into one, though.

What is being observed is preference, not selection out of desperation. Seeley and Schmidt both used multiple sizes and heights for nest boxes. I think it's safe to say EHB prefers hollow trees high from the ground, if they can get them. AHB being a lot more defensive, will just fight wherever they settle.

I definitely think that it is an error to suppose EHB has been made manageable by beekeeping; I think beekeeping has been made manageable by EHB being far less defensive, probably by evolving to seek out safe places. That, and the fact that we have taken the trouble to understand them.

PLB