Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2018 17:00:51 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
> On Mar 15, 2018, at 11:54 AM, Ruth Zajicek <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 
> After a presentation and conversation with a commercial pollinator, I have been musing on the differences in hive survival rates and management practices between the sideline/hobby beekeepers and the pros. 
> 
> […]
> 
> (I am ruling out beekeeper experience because of the number of certified “master beekeepers,” who have experienced losses far above the commercial rate)

There’s book knowledge and then there’s practice. I would’ve drawn the opposite conclusion - few hobbyists/sideliners approach beekeeping with hard business goals that enforce decision-making based on what works. There’s some new tool, or treatment to experiment with, there’s always time to do things later, the world will not end if I loose some colonies and my finances don’t depend on whether I’ll sell as many pounds of honey as last year. I’d venture a guess that a commercial entity would immediately fire employees with such attitudes.

It continues to amaze me how many beekeepers, especially hobbyists/sideliners do not know basic honey bee biology and colony management techniques. Even a simple thing like a hive inspection seems to be a realm of debates and endless discussions, but the end, people don’t know what’s going on in their hives. They don’t know how to notice what they are seeing, whether from the outside or looking at frames.

The biggest improvement in my management skills (and corresponding colony strengths & survival) comes from two sources: Jerry Bromenschenk’s course at UMontana, which focuses on making students think hard about bees & science and following BeeL discussions. There’s such a wealth of information here that it’s almost a crime to hear of people loosing majority of their hives. How in the world is that possible, baring a natural disaster, with all the information available at one’s fingertips?!

Przemek

Or maybe I’m just a year away from experiencing an unexplainable 100% loss and will be forced to revise my statement, :-(
The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2