From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2018 10:32:41 -0400
Hi all

I like the spelling "haemolymph" but that is just me. The awareness of the effect of varroa on fat bodies in bees is not new. From a 1984 issue of Apidologie:

> In most cases the effect of external parasitic mites on an insect host is harmful. The general pathology of invasions can involve *reduction of fat body* and retardation of both development and growth of the host.

> Moreover, research on biochemical pathology has shown that haemolymph of parasitized insects changes radically when compared to normal individuals. Such changes may arise as the result of requirements of the parasite for particular  biochemical substrates which causes an excessive drain of the haemolymph constituents

* However, it has also been known just as long that haemolymph is removed by varroa. In 1985 Apidologie

> 1. The protein concentration in the haemolymph of the worker brood decreased ; however it increased in the drone brood in relation to the intensity of parasitization (mites/cell).

> 2. In both castes, *haemolymph volume was reduced in relation to increasing numbers of mites.* The reduction of haemolymph volume in drone pupae was less than in worker pupae.

> 3. The total protein content of worker pupae decreased rapidly after varroa infestation and was related to the number of mites. This correlation does not exist in the drone pupae although there was a noticeable reduction in the total protein content.

Glinski, Z., & Jarosz, J. (1984). Alterations in haemolymph proteins of drone honey bee larvae parasitized by Varroa jacobsoni. Apidologie, 15(3), 329-338.

Weinberg, K. P., & Madel, G. (1985). The influence of the mite Varroa jacobsoni Oud. on the protein concentration and the haemolymph volume of the brood of worker bees and drones of the honey bee Apis mellifera L. Apidologie, 16(4), 421-436.

* This was summarized in 1988:

> There exists clear evidence that the *amount of hemolymph and its protein content is reduced* by feeding on the pupa

Drescher, W., & Schneider, P. (1988). *The effect of the Varroa mite upon the fat body of worker bees* and their tolerance of pesticides. Africanized honey bees and bee mites/editors, Glen R. Needham...[et al.].

Research on varroa has been going on for a long time:

> Varroa disease is without doubt the worst problem at the present time in world bee-keeping, and the mite is found today on all continents except Australia and North America (1984).

However, we must remember

Research is to see what everybody has seen, and to think what nobody has thought. -- Albert Szent-Gyoergi

PLB