Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2018 20:53:04 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
I assume most states have some form of inspection service personnel who inspect colonies, packages of bees, queens - prior to shipment.  That person inspects, and if the  bees are healthy, signs the certificate, 

In MT, according to state law, the inspections are conducted by the state apiarist or one of the state bee inspectors.  FL has over a dozen inspectors.  At least 13 states have some form of state Apiarist or Entomologist or Bee Inspectors.

Today, I met with the Education Committee of the Montana Veterinary Medicine Association to discuss training  of veterinarians with respect to safely working and inspecting bees, the January 2017 FDA Food Directive, appropriate forms, etc. 

In the course of the discussions, one veterinarian stated that he issued health certificates for large animals that were going to be tranported across state lines.  So, was he now responsible for or able to do the same for bees?   

In Montana, the Bee Law has specific language about that being the duty of the Agricultural Department's Apiculturist.  However, it seems to me that the FDA Directive in essence states that veterinarians now must be involved in judgements about bee health, or especially regarding Foulbrood.  Obviously, the possible presence of foulbrood and its possible spread is the main reason bees are inspected.  

It would seem that some veterinarians might challenge the legality of having a non-veterinarian issue health certificates?

I know Florida has some very specific thoughts on this issue.  Has it come up in other states?

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2