Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2017 09:39:29 +1000
7bit
From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
I was
> working my bees a few years ago, with a visiting apiary inspector from
> Australia watching.  I came across a laying worker colony with EFB, and
> simply set it on top of a healthy queenright hive to "clean it up."  He
> just about had a heart attack.  I explained that in my experience, it
> works.

That is an interesting reaction.  But there seems to be some difference here
as to either the perception to, or the effect of EFB. On the eastern side of
the country south of say Sydney it is regarded as a major problem and north
not so.

Here on the eastern bulge of Australia the amateur club has run two
beginning in bee courses in which I assisted. Each of the four weeks we
looked at different instructors bees.  It was difficult to find EFB; in fact
I only recall finding a few cells in one hive.  These days AFB is much
easier to find.

I wonder if said apiary officer was reacting as a result of our attempts to
place barrier systems in place to control AFB, even single hive barriers.

Australia is implementing a misnamed "Code of Practice" as part of the bio
security policies now the fad.  As part of New South Wales effort to be
truly ridiculous it is mandatory to report within twenty four hours:- Small
Hive Beetle, Chalk Brood, Nosema, EFB and of course AFB.  Given that every
time one lifts a lid you will have to report Small Hive Beetle it should
employ an army just to record the fact.  My local branch of the Apiarists'
Assoc has tree members with a microscope.  Myself, and a wife who has it not
for Nosema, and one purchased a week before the last meeting.  As nosema is
not generally regarded as a problem I don't expect many labs being
inundated.

Geoff Manning