From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2016 07:49:03 -0400
Hi there

I have set up many fences around apiaries, both large and small. It depends on your budget.  A minimal fence can be made with a $60 solar charger, the plastic fence poles, and wire or tape (either, I use both). You will also need a ground pole sunk about six feet. This could run no more than $100 total.

If you have more money you would get a better charger. I like ones that give a real wallop, although bear in mind (hah!) that a fence is a deterrent. A determined bear is not going to stop at electricity any more than it is going to stop at hundreds of bee stings.

The ones I built for large apiaries had wooden poles, galvanized wire, and top of the line solar chargers. This setup costs more like $500-$600.

You do not need a high fence, because the bear travels on all fours. No more than waist high is necessary, you want the bear shocked in the face. I haven't had a bear test my fence but it does keep the deer at bay, and there are a lot of them around here.

It you have line current, I think the chargers that use line current are a better buy. Cheaper and stronger. Baiting the fence is a good plan, wrap bacon on the wires. I never have run a ground wire, but some recommend it. You have to keep the weeds down or they will draw off a lot of charge and could start a fire.

PLB