From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2016 08:42:25 +0100
>The real take home message however, is that if you are seeing chalkbrood
at all in your hives, then the genetics of those bees are non hygienic.
It really is as simple as that.
>The solution is simple. Test for hygienic behaviour...in your
apiaries...in your nucs, and especially those hives used for breeding
stock.

If evidence of chalkbrood tells us the bees are not hygienic why do we need to test?  Chalkbrood has done it for us.
We have scored colonies for chalkbrood (and other things) since 2006 and now see significant amounts (more than two or three cells) in only about 4% of our colonies - and most of our colonies have mainly A.m.m. genes - so supposedly susceptible to chalk.

In my view far too little attention is paid to chalk.  Visible chalk in open cells can be just the tip of the iceberg and I have known combs that rattle when shaken!  The loss of brood, particularly in the spring build up, can have a devastating effect on colony performance.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W