From:
Scott Koppa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2016 15:08:16 +0000
PLB:

"I still think that the chief action of smoke is narcotic...

None of this gets at _how and why it works_ however, which is what interests me. The pacifying effect is the most relevant"

A narcotic effect would require an opioid receptor interaction (read activation/agonism)--which, with the variety of smoking fuels used--seems unlikely, no? (with the exception of our colleagues in Colorado, of course, who have access to designer fuels. Pricey, tho.)

However, an antagonistic effect would simply require desensitization/feedback inhibition--akin to not feeling your clothes. Moderate smoke would seem to do that pretty well.

And an overload sets off inflammatory and other responses designed to remove the source of irritation. Think vomiting and the brain's CTZ apparatus.