Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 2015 09:06:58 -0400
         And: the idea of taking away honey and feeding with sugar syrup

> seems just wrong, but I'm told that in our climate, the "sugar
> suryp honey" is actually preferable to real nectar honey for
> overwintering, because there are fewer indigestible residues, and
> thus less risk of dysentry when no cleansing flights are possible
> for several consecutive months.  I wonder if there are data to back
> up that claim.

Yes, Bailey (I think it was in 1966 Journal of Apiculture Research on *The
Effect of Acid-Hydrolyzed Sucrose on Honeybees) * in a study many years ago
found just that. Sucrose was the best overwintering feed with HFCS second
and honey third, for the reason you noted. It is the ash content that
determined the best feed, with low ash the best since that means fewer
cleansing flights.

There are several discussions in the archives, but they can get confusing
since honey is the best food overall, but not for overwintering, which is
the issue.

George Imire also found this and set up a method of winter stores
management that reduces the amount of fall honey, which is usually high ash.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine