Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2014 08:36:31 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
>One hundred twenty years ago Frank Benton with his business partner D. A Jones attempted to develop "Apis Americana" by crossing A. melifera cypria and A dorsota.  For a variety of reasons it was not successful, but from what I have heard from Australia is seems lucky for the American beekeeper that it did not happen.

An interesting account and thanks Larry for posting.  The failure probably meant that Tropilaelaps was not introduced into the European beekeeping scene and from there the rest of the world at that time.  Apis dorsata being the natural host for Tropilaelaps meant that the colonies would most likely have contained these mites.  Whether they would have converted immediately to Apis mellifera would be a point for conjecture.  

My records show that in 1886 Cyprian queens bees were imported into Australia from Benton in Cyprus.  So if Tropilaelaps had established in Cyprus then it is most likely these mites would have also arrived in Australia.  No doubt Benton was shipping these queens back to the US. Looks like the world may have dodged a bullet at that time.

I also noted that Benton had a nest of Apis florea with him.  We know that there is a mite Euvarroa sinhai which is natural to florea.  Whilst it currently has not been found reproducing on mellifera I wonder if, with suitable exposure such as varroa had, whether this Euvarroa would eventually start reproducing on mellifera.  Also who knows what other mites may have been hitching a ride with the florea.

Also interesting that Benton took mellifera hives with him to these areas.

Trevor Weatherhead
Australia

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 10946 (20141230) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2