Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2014 14:01:42 -0500
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
>The notion that non-native insects propagate non-native flowers is largely a myth, not supported by any science.

> Hardly a myth Pete.  Simply step outside and observe non native honey bees actively pollinating non-native Old World plants transplanted to North America.

Poor wording on my part, in an effort to be brief. What I meant was it's a myth that non-native pollinators increase the prevalence of non-native flora over natives. That somehow native bees and native plants are over-run by non-natives simply because they are non-natives.

There are invasive species, that's clear, but the distinction should be made on the invasive nature of the species, not whether or not it's native. Further, many natives have become inseparably linked to non-natives, so that in an effort to rid an area of non-natives -- natives can be irreparably harmed.

An example is in Oregon where native species are nesting in non-native grasses. To pull the grasses out at this point would be destructive and pointless. One needs to look at the whole picture. If an ecosystem is balanced and thriving, why should we go in and destroy this or that species on the basis of an ill-guided picture of life before Columbus?

PLB