From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2014 04:43:58 -0400
> Grown-Up Bullying Alive and Well in Ontario as Farmers Get Steamrolled
> Over Neonics
>

> http://www.realagriculture.com/2014/11/grown-bullying-alive-well-ontario-farmers-get-steamrolled-neonics/
>
> His "Cole's Notes" version of the PMRA report is not very accurate.  Look
at the report (which he does reference) for yourself

:
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/pest/_fact-fiche/neonicotinoid/neonicotinoid-eng.php

By his own admission:
"This near-ban also seems to fly in the face of Ontario’s own extension
work, which stated the products are likely necessary on 30% of Ontario
acres"

If they are necessary, they will be allowed on those acres.  But if they
are not necessary, then 100% of the acres will not be treated.  That seems
like a good thing to me.

The PMRA report does make links between weather and seeding dust
mortality.  What we have not seen yet is a similar season to those
producing planter dust mortality.  It remains to be seen whether the
changes to fluency agents and planting practices will be effective ENOUGH
in dry conditions.  The numbers I have seen are that encouraging.  A
reduction in usage will be a help.

Stan