From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 2015 13:06:09 -0400
Whilst it is true that drones have only half the genes of
females and all of the genes come from the queen, the combination of
genes are unique to each drone.  The way I understand it the queen has 2
of each gene and the drone has a random combination of one from each
pair.

The article is a bit more specific. They say

> Male bees are more or less clones of their mothers that have half the number of chromosomes. The mothers have chromosomes which come in pairs, and the genes in these chromosomes can recombine to create new combinations, so it’s not quite that simple…

Actually, it's not simple at all. Recombination occurs, where dna from the pairs of chromosomes are swapped, but it isn't random. DNA exchange only occurs at cross-over points, which are highly regulated by the cell. But you are right, drones are not clones. Having only one of each chromosome (haploid) is not uncommon. Even in humans, males have only one X chromosome. Females have two but one is "silenced." Having too many chromosomes is worse, as in Down syndrome (trisomy 21), or diploid drones (which are fertilized and have dna from both parents, but are apparently destroyed by the workers).

PLB