From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2014 23:06:18 -0400
> James Fisher writes:
> > sit down and talk with anyone who has been in the business "pre varroa",
> and ask them if their current financials are "healthy" or "a death spiral"
> by comparison.

Roughly half of my beekeeping is post varroa.  I am full time beekeeper
with several employees.  Current financials are very good.  Honey is the
highest it has ever been.  Pollination prices are also high.  Blueberry
production keeps growing exponentially.  Global warming is a terrible
tragedy to leave to our children and grand children but it has helped the
overwintering of beehives in the cold north.

I am concerned about mortality,  but so far it is ok.  I took out hive
insurance for the first time this winter since I am expecting a hit from
our new tracheal mites soon.  Also we saw for the first time in our post
treatment mite tests one area of yards that seemed to show varroa
resistance to apivar (amitraz).

It takes a lot more financial input and management time to keep bees than
it used to.  But the rewards are so much greater.  You know that yourself
James because you are getting a premium price for your honey.  Well I never
tapped into that high end market.   I sold very competitively and
aggressively to the supermarket chains.   Current bulk honey prices are so
good it is a headache I am glad to put to rest.  And they are not
fluctuating like they used to.  They seem to be going to stay high.  Maybe
that says more about the state of the world's bees than beekeepers
financials.

Stan