From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2014 18:04:00 -0500
The fact that they have to continue
to pour so much money into marketing should be the dead giveaway that
they're working really hard to sell us something we don't actually need.

Hi Kathryn,

Thanks for chiming in. I think you have a valid argument and posed it in a fair manner. Up to the last sentence, that is. It is incorrect to say that advertising is a reflection of an unsellable product.

For example, if I have honey to sell, and nobody knows it, I may have it for a long time. I may prefer to sell by word of mouth, but if somebody else is advertising all over town, that person might fill all my potential customers' cupboards with honey. So, advertising is a legitimate form of communication, especially necessary in a competitive market.

To tar somebody because they spend a lot of money on advertising is a poor tactic. Advertising keeps media such as newspapers, magazines and web sites afloat. Thanks for listening.

PLB