From:
Kevin Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 2014 08:32:35 -0500
>That info is also a bit in contrast with Dennis report on better
survivability on HFCS than honey..

Dennis presents a mixed message in the you tube video.  While stating that
the best food for bees is what they gather naturally, he discussed that for
three years running now relatively higher losses have been reported for
those who 'feed back' honey.

He also points out that the difficulty with drawing conclusions from this
statistic in the surveys.  i.e.  it's not determined whether or not the lost
colonies were the ones supplying the honey to the surviving ones, nor
whether or not the colonies needing to be fed the honey were in trouble
otherwise causing them to require supplemental feeding.

It does suggest that one should be careful when donating honey frames from a
collapsed colony to a healthy one.  I have been doing this without any
obvious ill effects during the four short years that I have been keeping
bees.  My practice is to put the frames from dead outs into the deep freeze
for a least a few days prior to reusing them, primarily to make sure there
are no viable moth or beetle eggs on them before they are introduced into
another hive.