From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2013 20:37:56 +0100
> In Calif, I used to observe EFB only in the spring during weather stress,
or in laying worker
colonies.  It would "go away" spontaneously when a decent nectar/pollen
flow occurred.

It is known here as the disappearing disease.  The theory is (was?) that a
heavy flow in the spring (typically Oilseed rape here) would mean that a
large number of bees would go out to forage and the larvae would then be
less well fed due to a shortage of nurse bees.  EFB would then be seen, but
later disappear when the flow eased.

>This is no longer the case--we appear to now have an epidemic of a new
strain, which does not "go away" unless treated.  But it still responds to
OTC.

I found recent research interesting when it showed that there are many (27
did I see?) strains of EFB.  For me this increases my opposition to imports
even further.  In the past there has been a willingness to allow imports
from countries that have diseases that are already in the UK, such as EFB;
but now that all changes as knowledge increases and we find that some
countries have strains that we do not have.  I have to ask - what other
diseases are there where there are multiple strains?

> In actuality, there are clearly different strains of each bacterium,
causing different field signs.  The
parasites continually evolve, whereas we keep the same name for each
parasite and the disease that it may cause.

Yesterday's certainty so often no longer holds true.  Perhaps the ability to
react quickly to the current situation and knowledge may be far more
advantageous than careful planning.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W