Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 2013 17:39:59 -0400
Jorg wrote: "Mentor a few new beekeepers and teach them using your own
bees as "teaching
material". You just have to be honest and make it beneficial for both
sides."

I take on 'apprentices'.  All are different but, broadly speaking, at
first they accompany me on a round of my apiaries to familiarise them
with bees and handling them.  This is good for me as well as them
because, when you have to explain why you're doing what you're doing,
'"This is the way I was taught" isn't a good enough explanation. I move
a hive or two to their place and we work them together, at first they
lean over my shoulder, then I theirs until they can fly solo.  When a
season has passed and they are equipped, I make an artificial swarm to
set them up and we run them alongside each other for a while until I am
no longer needed and I can move mine away; but the friendships last.  I
was so proud when I witnessed my first apprentice, Laura, take and pass
her BBKA Basic Exam while I was standing in the background.

Chris