From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2013 19:07:20 -0400
> I now use rubber gloves (Marigolds)
> with disposable latex single use gloves
> over them.

Several of my female students use the "Mr. Clean" brand Nyplex gloves.  They
come in sizes, so they fit small hands, and fit is important to keep a glove
from becoming a bee-killing awkward burden.  They are thick enough that a
slight pricking sensation can be felt, but the reflex reaction of the wearer
seems to pull out the tip of the stinger, and render most stings ineffective
in terms of venom delivery.  This is a very good thing for people who have
to go to work at jobs the next day, and must type, shake hands, or do brain
surgery.

The gloves are washable, and seem to last through more than a month of hobby
beekeeping if hand-washed after every day of use.

I myself have worn only a Brian Sherriff "Bee Farmer" mesh vest and veil for
decades.  The same one has lasted all that time with only one replacement of
elastic back in the 2004 timeframe.  You get more than what you pay for from
Sherriff.  It lays flat on my back, and I do not suffer heat stroke when I
have to flip it up.

I have jackets with similar rounded spaceman veils for guests to use, and
they are best work over a baseball cap to allow the brim to push the mesh
away from the face and keep the hood steady.

A sweatband around the head can often keep the round veils in place when the
beekeeper bends down, but once again, a baseball cap seems the best way to
keep this type of veil from slipping out of place.

But it won't work anywhere near as well if it is a cap from any team but the
Red Sox or the Mets.