From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2013 11:21:32 -0500
I am always interested in ways beekeepers explain the situation.
B Farmer I think provides more information than needed when talking to the average person.

My wife kicks my heel (as directed by myself) under the table when  I get into providing as indepth a description as B. Farmer talks about.

I am careful to not point to a single cause and instruct my help to do the same concernlng ccd.

The best informed hobby are usually those which have lost all or most their hives for the first few years.

They listen carefully.

The beekeepers telling others at meetings and presentations how easy organic and leave alone beekeeping is and expanding usually need sedated when all or most their 30 or so hives start crashing.

One lost his 35 to Afb and burned all but the boxes .

Another in his third year with similar numbers found his hives this year over threshold with varroa and full of PMS.

PMS (parasitic mite syndrome)

On the lighter side:

Would not a better name have been:
Parasitic varroa mite syndrome (PVMS)

Telling a new beekeeper his bees have PMS has always
Been interesting.

Once a older beekeeper told me.

"I went through PMS with my wife now i have to experience PMS with my bees?"

Many beekeepers seeing serious issues with small hive beetle now that rains have returned in many areas.

Bob