From:
Steve Petrilli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2013 21:58:22 -0400
"Sustainable" and "Organic"... two marketing buzzwords when it comes to bee keeping and honey.   When you consider bees will work at least a 3 mile radius from their colony (and go farther if needed), how can ANYONE claim the bees worked only organically raised pollen and nectar sources?   A 3 mile radius encompass over 18,000 acres.    Not very many bee keepers have the ability to be that isolated.

When I am asked if my honey is organic the answer is yes, because if honey is not organic, it is not honey.  I also add that it was honey produced by free range bees as well (some humor to make a point)

I can just envision another rendition of the still evolving term sustainable beekeeping.   The beekeeper is only permitted to travel and use electric powered vehicles/equipment and those vehicles and equipment can only be recharged using electricity which was produced by hydro electric, butt ugly blight on the landscape wind turbines or equally butt ugly solar farms.

If the bees need to be fed, the beekeeper can only use organically grown pure cane sugar.  The wooden ware must only be constructed of recycled lumber.   No trees are to be harvested to produce the frames or hive boxes.  Plastic foundation which has its basis in the evil fossil fuel industry is outlawed.   Use of a smoker to work the bees is verboten unless you have the proper EPA registration and permits and pay whatever ransom fees the local governments deem necessary to be able to ensure the bee keeper is meeting the definition of sustainable.  You will not be able to burn cardboard, burlap, wood pellets or wood chips.  Only certified corn cobs and pine needles  (inspected by the USDA) may be used.

I guess the topic of sustainable hit a nerve.