Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2013 09:21:36 -0600
whereas perennially leaved plants like dandelions, which always have a
rosette of leaves,

Around here there is very little that maintains green growth during the
winter.  Dandelions freeze back below ground most years.  Even if green
growth is maintained under the snow cover, we have such cold springs that
the vegetation is killed after the snow leaves.  We loose more plants to
"winter kill" after winter is over.
Yesterday we were working bees, today the ground is white.