From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2012 11:18:04 -0500
>Seems pretty clear that the *average maximum* would be something like
>50,000, that colonies over this figure are not common. This, under optimal
>conditions.

> Adult honeybee colonies exhibit an inherent annual cycle of development
> which is modified by the variability of the seasons. The most obvious
> feature was the abundant adult population which grew rapidly producing
> maximal numbers of nearly 40 000 in early July although colonies with
> maxima of over 50 000 and one with 61 500 were observed.

1978 was a long time ago. The above seem high numbers for me for researcher
colonies.

In commercial circles today 80,000 is not unreasonable for hives kept in at
least two deeps and managed.

My production hives bees will not fit in two deeps this time of year. Tilt
the bottom of the bottom box and smoke and the bees reappear quickly. Same
with the top box. Pull the supers and bees hang all over the front and down
to the ground.

Of course the above is not what a normal hive looks like. A normal hive in
most seasons sees changes in nectar and pollen intake. Queens stop laying
due to both weather changes and spring flows.

Dr. Lu's hives were in a commercial operation which to me means bees cranked
up. My hives without my management would look similar to those in the 1978
research.

In the documentary "Vanishing of the bees" the organic beekeepers point to
commercial feeding of pollen patties, syrup and inseminated queens as
problematic but when you look at the shear size of the colonies I have
created one can not argue with the results.

The most common comment I hear when a hobby beekeeper looks at commercial
hives at season peak is "I have never seen nothing like these bees!". I say
"pick a spot in the air in which you do not see bees?". Then the most common
comment is:"how do the bees keep from crashing into each other?"

The anonymous bee magazine author O.B.Wiser (years ago) summed things up
best by explaining what he was doing with his bees and his fellow beekeeper
down the road was doing.
example:
O.B. Wiser was feeding his bees before the other beekeeper had even done his
spring bee checks.
O.B. Wiser made his splits about the time the other beekeeper was ordering
queens
O.B. Wiser was putting on his supers as the other beekeeper was starting to
feed his starving bees.
O.B. Wiser showed pictures in his articles of hives braced with 2X4's and
adding supers standing on ladders while the other beekeeper produced a
couple supers of honey.

The other day Vegans told me they would not eat honey as was made by the
enslavement of the bees.
My answer:
"Would you please move to the side of the table so the others in line can
pick up their honey?

bob