From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2012 19:41:36 -0400
====
>The percentage of treatment-free beekeepers is a simple way to document
this transition.  To me, this is more interesting that arguing for or
against treatment free--I'm just interested in following the progression of
an expected course of evolution.
====

I always believed a good way to follow the progression
of varroa resistance in the honeybee population is to
survey pest control companies who probably receive the
majority of bee calls.  I've often wondered why the leading
researchers weren't devising plans to survey pest control
companies and identify the areas where the ferals were
abundant or leading the resurgence,
-I think it was a missed opportunity.

I've managed to identify a couple of these leading recovery
areas about 10 years ago.  More recently am seeing
a pattern that shows I get more bee calls, to very small
pockets, perhaps no more than  1/2 mile in diameter.
These areas are usually in residential neighborhoods.
Typically these pockets produce 3 or 4 calls for Prime May
swarms/removals per season.  I suppose this is further
evidence that house hunting bees do not search far from
the mother colony when seeking a new void.

====
>I am an historian of beekeeping and in this region (NY State) one hundred years ago, 40% to 50% losses were common.
====

Yes, and losses historically  averaged 30% or more
in western PA. Don;t know why this is, but I suspect
the tenancy for our area to experience wide swings
temperature, humidity, snow and rain throughout
winter adds a great deal of stress to wintering colonies.

====
> So, when somebody tells me they don't lose bees, I figure it's BS.
====

Add to that never had foulbrood, which rarely anybody
admits to.

Best Wishes,
Joe Waggle