From:
Kevin Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2013 13:24:53 -0500
>We don't see that happening--strong colonies quickly rearrange the honey
band.  Reversing weak colonies in cool weather can result in split
clusters, even a week later!

>If the bees are manipulated late on a warm day and the night
turns out to be frosty and windy, imagine the harm that can be
done.

randy, yes my bees are quickly rearranging at this time, moving honey from the top medium to the middle deep just below it.  not surprised they would do the same if two deeps reversed.

allen, i can see how that would be really bad for the bees if serious manipulated the frames that comprise the cluster and brood nest.  those bees worked hard to get that part of the hive just right.

i don't think the same risk is there when in my configuration, all i manipulate are the medium frames above and below.  and if i find them staying warm directly under the inner cover this time of year, i quickly close the hive back up and leave it alone until they move back down into the deep.

peter, looks like some good stuff on the other topic, will read soon.

many thanks to all of you for engaging this list and being willing to share your time and expertise.