Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2012 20:14:31 GMT
I am wearing so many hats here it's giving me a headache.  I would like to be clear about a number of points so that I have anything to apologize for online or in person.

1.  The two authors listed besides Dr. Lu are my friends, and people whom I respect greatly.

Ken has been a bee inspector here since 1976, is a 5th generation beekeeper, and has excellent success with his methods...Ken is a first rate beekeeper who is generous with his time and expertise.

I feel very lucky that Ken is our inspector...I am comfortable with him opening up our colonies for inspection even if we are not present (although the foundationless comb still throws him sometimes, he's never dropped one.....yet).  I don't know anyone in the state that doesn't feel the same way.

Do you feel that way about your bee inspector?  Do you think I'm less picky about who opens my hives than you are?  In my opinion, Ken is largely the reason we have so little AFB in our area...and almost no one is treating with TM anymore....his inspection program in Worcester County is a success story.

Richard is a retired Ph.D entomologist.  Bees are not his specialty, but he is an enthusiastic beekeeper who serves on the board and volunteers his time extensively.  I don't have more to say about him simply because I don't know him as well.

2.  I provide sound and run the video projector for the club (I own equipment from a former life as an electronic musician/performer).  I also run the website, videotaped the talk (with Dr. Lu's permission), and put it on the website.

...add this to serving on the board, and perhaps serving a similar role as I sometimes do here, as a "treatment free perspective" in a largely conservative club (my understanding is that many in our county feed quite a bit, treat with either formic acid or apistan, and treat with fumidil).  This is the method taught at beeschool...people that are actively seeking something different are generally referred to us.  We run our conference and classes completely separate from the club.  I've announced our conference and handed out fliers at events, but our events and conferences have never been listed on the website or in the newsletter.

3.  As Gavin and Cam have noticed...the reception was enthusiastic.  I wish I had turned the camera around to document the size of the audience....there were 200+ in the room.  I expect most if not all of the members of the board were also enthusiastic.

4.  So I end up here...on the internet discounting a study....knowing I'm making my friends feel bad.  Knowing that I'm going to a club meeting on Friday.  Knowing that there is a board meeting coming up.  Knowing that some of these posts will be forwarded their way. Knowing that some don't think I'm qualified to evaluate a study.

Did I mention that I'm in an awkward position?

...but in the end, as a member of the board (Ramona and I split a vote...we usually agree), my role is to serve the membership.  I think it's unfair to present this to the membership with the names of Harvard, Ken, and Richard attached to it without saying something...it's too powerful a pedigree (and confirms big AG as the scapegoat of the moment) to expect anyone to question closely

It's helpful to get support here on Bee-L.

deknow