From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2012 05:58:54 -0800
Hi Frank!

> > What is corn yellow brood?

When the USDA tested, it was full of *Melissococcus plutonius--*the causal
bacterium of EFB.  This was unusual, since usually other bacteria dominate
later on in the disease.

Perhaps the best website for EFB ID is
http://www.extension.org/pages/23693/european-foulbrood:-a-bacterial-disease-affecting-honey-bee-brood

Note that they describe EFB as being yellowish.  But to me, after seeing
EFB for over 40 years, the "new" corn-yellow strain looks different.

If EFB is not yet confirmed in NZ, you may be seeing virus-induced disease
in your brood--what is commonly called Parasitic Mite Syndrome.

If your disease is indeed EFB, a bit of OTC will quickly clear it up (I
can't remember if you are allowed to use it in NZ).

The "old" form of EFB used to clear up spontaneously with either a pollen
flow or a new queen.  The new form, in my experience, doesn't.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA