From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2011 21:20:24 -0500
> You could do more if you sacrificed honey production and fed heavily.

Yes, well, there are some caveats. The statement was never about making splits AND making honey at the same time. It was simply a question of getting the most bees out of the hives. If one is selling bees, or trying to fill up equipment only, it can definitely be done. Many of our NY commercial guys head south with a bunch of worn out bees, only to return in May with enough bees to pollinate apples, and then make honey if the conditions are good. But they do have to feed a lot while building the bees back up. But again, I never said there wouldn't be costs, and the timing is critical.

PLB