Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2011 16:49:19 -0400
> I understand that in alberta canola pollination is a
>paid bussiness. I understand the price for that service is around us$100 per
>hive. My argentinian collegue says that in saskatchewan it is not paid.

You are both right.

The paid pollination is for placing bees at several hives per acre on seed canola
fields.  They must be brought in on schedule and removed when requested and
the period of pollination coincides with the main honey flow.  Due to the
overstocking required for good pollination, the honey yields are usually far lower
than in hives run for honey production.

Honey producers on the other hand, typically place their hives on permanent
locations where they expect the bees will find varied forage all season.  Since
canola is a major crop, there is almost always one or more canola fields close to
these locations and the farmers get free pollination.  The beekeepers don't
mind, since they get huge crops of excellent honey from canola.

On the other hand, beekeepers in the past went to great lengths to avoid
rapeseed, the predecessor of canola, because it produced dark and foul-tasting
honey.