From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 2011 18:27:13 -0400
>Just wait until some manage to set up in a few nooks and crannies so that the bees have homes to defend.  Once a few kids get stung multiple times, I predict a movement to repeal the legalization of beekeeping in places. like NYC.

I agree with your comments.

It may be prudent for Roof Top City Beekeepers to adopt
a plan to deal with swarms issuing from hives.  There
is potential for 'baited swarm posts' to 'reduce the chances'
of a swarm landing at street level.  They are not always
effective, but in an environment where elevated alighting spots
away from street level are scarce,  their effectiveness
may be enhanced somewhat.

A swarm post in 1876 also hived  the swarm.
It was configured so that bells would ring or
a pistol would fire off to alert the beekeeper that swarm
was captured.  I would recommend to scrap the pistol idea,
due to ammo being so pricey nowadays.

City beekeepers also need to portray to the public that
honeybees are of 'immense value to the ecology of
the city.' and find ways to deliver that message.  Historically,
the value of honeybees was understood by the public, perhaps,
placing value above fear.  But unfortunately, in many places,
fear has all but replaced this appreciation for  bees.  So a
strategy to educate the value of bees to the public needs
to be addressed.

The public support for honeybees has been good in the past.
In August of 1884 a swarm of bees lands on the Brooklyn
bridge and captured by the Superintendent. No blame was
dished out.  Instead, in October, the "swarm of bees captured
on the Brooklyn bridge" were made one of the feature attractions
of the 'Great Fair.' The fifty-third annual exhibition of the American
Institute,  at Sixty-third-street.

Interesting, this fear of stings.  A hundred years ago a
bee hunter would not think twice about letting his
son scamper up a tree to help collect the honey.
A young teenager would be eager to catch a swarm that
was discovered, perhaps taking is shirt off and using
it to hold the swarm while he carries them home to
mom and dad.  Onlookers would gather around
a person trying to catch a swarm and "laugh at
the antics of those being stung" while trying to catch
the swarm.  In those days, getting stung was
part of the process, and not considered a big deal.

Best Wishes,
Joe Waggle
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricalHoneybeeArticles/