From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2011 13:52:21 -0500
> Have you suggested leaving the colony be?

As a former state bee inspector, this makes me cringe. An un-managed colony
has the potential to be a source of foulbrood for the whole neighborhood.
-------------------------------

Peter -

I can understand your concern.  In my state, I have never heard of anyone
being taken to task for having a feral colony of bees in a wall or a barn.
I am not aware of state inspectors destroying feral colonies as a matter of
policy.  Does that happen?  Would state inspectors recommend destroying all
feral colonies because they can not be inspected and may harbor disease?  It
seems that we in beekeeping have begun placing a greater value on the
genetics of what we have chosen to call the survival colonies  because they
seem to possess qualities that allow them to survive in the absence of
treatment.  I greatly appreciate bringing home a swarm whose queen is not
marked.

I have often suggested to those looking to remove or destroy bees to
consider letting them live when they present no eminent danger.  I guess I
have never looked at them as a source of disease, which I would have to
admit they could be.  I wonder if the potential problems outweigh the
potential gains.

Larry Krengel
Marengo, IL