From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2010 08:13:48 -0500
> That could add up.  What's a gallon of syrup worth these days?

International Ingredients plant in Muncie, Kansas the last I checked was .52
a pound for the sugar content but a cost is added for mixing, storing and
pumping into totes or tankers which brings the cost per gallon to over three
dollars a gallon.

The price normally drops to encourage beekeeper buying after the summer soft
drink usage drops off and large buyers then can negotiate lower prices on
multiple tanker loads I have been told.

So far the price has not dropped and I can only wait another week or so
before I have to buy syrup.

The level our areas beekeepers are on we simply buy or not buy. We can buy
the scrap syrup from a beekeeper which gets the scrap from both area sugar
plants but can be risky and not a risk I want to take although you can
seriously cut your feed costs.

Not sure what 50 pound bags are going for at Costco or Sam's these days.
Last year it was quite a bit cheaper to buy in bags and mix.

bob