From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 2010 21:35:22 -0800
I think it might be **easier** (and easier is not always **better**) to lay a sheet of newspaper (just a single sheet) over the top bars where the cluster is short on feed, place a shallow super to hold the newspaper down, then pour 8 to 10 pounds of dry, granulated sugar on top of the newspaper.

In short order, the sugar picks up moisture from the humidity in the hive and hardens.  The bees chew through the newspaper and begin nibbling on the sugar.

And Peter is right, there are better ways to feed your bees, but in an emergency, this dry sugar mthod will do.

Some of my hives were quite light when I checked them before Christmas.  I am reminded that "Winter Management" begins in September, and it's never too early to start feeding conventional syrup recipes.

Grant
Jackson, MO