From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 2010 13:11:43 -0800
> > Allen is right that beginners really need to hook up
> with a local mentor...

I am by no means inviting anyone off this list, and should not be interpreted as doing so.  This list is good for research or biology type questions. But for general questions regarding the culture of bees, the 'bulletin board' type forums are great, because you will get many answers which allows a newbee to compare and go with the consensus, which is usually the right choice.  Also, agree that a local mentor would be most beneficial to newbees.

> I have heard that commercial beekeepers avoid clubs because
> there are too many hobbiests and sideliners avoid the clubs
> because there are too many big guys.

A Commercial Beekeeper from Georgia, who calls occasionally, related to me that the biggest factor for him was the time involved.

-Joe