From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 2009 15:18:32 -0500
Dick writes:

>In talking to a few bigger beeks in the US, I got the impression that it was not a serious threat;     Is the difference in the disease, in the bees or just in attitude? Or
is there actually a difference?

The difference is, IMHO, the refusal to use antibiotics. EFB clears up very easily with TM.

from the Bee-L archives:

Bee Culture had an excellent article by Dr. Bill Wilson in the Oct. 2000 issue.

"Although sodium sulfathiazole worked well against AFB, the medication
did not control European foulbrood, and beekeepers reported heavy
outbreaks of EFB in several parts of the U.S. in the 1950's."

"In the 1950's, bee researchers in Canada (Jamieson 1953) and in the
U.S. (Gochnauer 1951, 1953; Moffett 1954) reported effective control of
foulbrood (both AFB and EFB) using oxytetracycline HCL (Terramycin or
Tm) and other antibiotics."

"The use of sodium sulfathiazole was eventually discontinued because it
didn't work against EFB and when used for AFB, it left persistent
residues in extracted honey"