From:
T'N'T Apiaries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:20:33 -0700
> Going for the lowest figure, how many hives per surface area would you
> guesstimate for building up on the worst variety? or how big are your
> apiary
> sites?
Canola blooms during the period of our main honey flow so its hard for me to
say how it would be for build up.  We are located in the aspen parkland
region (area of transition between prairie & forest) so there is a mix of
tame hay lands, wild flowers and cultivated land. The bees have access to a
whole lot at that time of year if the weather co-operates. Our sites are on
average 40 or 48 hives, a mile to 3 miles apart,  but on a perfect year
could likely be larger & closer for that short period. Unfortunately the
first part of July when this is all happening can be a real mixed bag of
weather (Alberta is known for its sudden and extreme swings, even within a
given day) We can have cold north winds with rain prevent the bees from
getting out or the temps can shoot up into the high thirties and cook
everthing out of the plants.
On the worst varieties we have had a yard of 48 in the middle of  640 A (260
Ha) only to watch them forage pollen there, but fly two miles down the road
to another field for nectar. On a good field, under perfect conditions
(moisture, temps, wind,etc.), we have seen a yard of 48 forage out no more
than 300 yards and you couldn't put the boxes on fast enough.  I think that
is about 1.2 A / hive. Perhaps one of the guys who keep bees out on the
prairies (Hint: Allen) could jump in here, as when they set on a field there
can sometimes be damn little else available.

Dave Tharle
Ardmore, AB
Canada