From:
T'N'T Apiaries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Nov 2009 22:33:09 -0700
Juanse et al

>How can one differenciate them in the field?
Short answer; You can't.  Initially there were two groups with 1 main
variety in each.  One group were called Argentine varieties (likely the
origin of its rape seed ancestors). Needed a longer growing season, but seed
productions were higher. Nectar was not as intense, but bloom periods were
longer. The other group were called Polish varieties (again likely had to do
with ancestry).  Required a shorter growing season, but had a short, intense
bloom period (which the bees could miss with a week of poorly timed
inclement weather) and lower seed production.  Now literally 100s of
varieties have come & gone and the two lines have been throughly mixed I'm
sure.

>Can you list which varieties give nectar?
Again, sorry no. Some of my farmers don't even know the vareity number. They
licence to the seed companies.  "I got it from Agricore", "It's from
Pioneer". The "tumbleweed" (think american westerns) varieties with thin
bushy stems were very good and the christmas tree (single very thick
relatively straight stem with decreasing branches) were terrible, but even
that seems to be changing as the plant breeders move traits around.

>Are all modern Canolas, transgenic canola containing Bt ?
About 80% (actually thought figure would be higher) of the canola in Canada
is genetically modified.  Not all carry the Bt, but what % actully do I
could not locate.

Sorry this post has been more history than useful information.

Dave Tharle
Ardmore, AB
Canada