From:
Kirk Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 2008 11:07:22 -0500
Hello fellow beeks,

I don't see any big issues with hive beetles as a migratory beek from
Michigan to Florida.

First, we leave Florida just before the hot doldrums of summer when the
beetles proliferate. The summer is stressful with little good pollen and nectar.

In Michigan we may see a few beetles and view them as a minor nuisance. We
have modified our management program so as not to bring *any* brood in with
the harvested honey. Brood without bees is a beetle magnet and breeding
grounds. We just collect any brood and leave it in the beeyard until it
hatches out in the fall and then bring in the combs to the warehouse.

I don't see any big deal for Canadians.

As I understand it, the arid central valley of Cal. may be too dry for
beetles to run amok. Is this so? Maybe you could comment, Randy.

I think Varroa mites are the worst threat to us, and beeks need to keep
their eyes on the ball.

By the way, I hear that the southeast US is warming up early and beeks
better be sure to have enough stores or risk losing bees to starvation as
they consume stores brooding up. The maple pollen is coming in early. It has
been warm in the panhandle of Florida too, where we keep our winter
operation. We have pollen coming in too. We are also putting the patties to
the hives and have got two feedings of syrup around as we work the bees into
the second deep that we have added.

Last year one yard rich in pollen got going so good, we lost about 9 hives
out of 80 after three feedings with internal feeders. Dang! I hate it when
that happens. The survivors were swarming early and we had no problem
getting our numbers up. It's amazing how much feed is required once the bees
get brooding up.