Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2009 15:07:22 GMT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (44 lines)
>>You didn't get much response on this one!

No.  It did not really surprise me as the answer might be rather ambiguous since this is grey territory and bees don't read the same books or Bee-L that we do. :)

After my posting on Bee-l, my friend called as soon as the weather broke to inform me that a swarm landed on the weeping cyprus in front of his house.  I went over the next morning at 6 am and helped him hive it.  We queen-excluded the box and I rushed off to work.

He called me later that day - the bees were back on the cyprus.  I explained that it may have been due to a small virgin with the swarm that was able to pass through the excluder.  He called me later in the evening saying the bees left the cypress and seemed to have gone back into the hive...

Anything is possible.  On the other hand, it's my friend's first season with the bees and the swarm could have taken off for parts unknown and his hive may have had some extra [normal] activity that afternoon.  This may have led to think the swarm returned to the hive.

>>As we nuc our colonies during swarm season and rainy weather, we often find multiple queens, last year in one very large colony two laying queens plus walking virgins.

That's something!  I once went to an apartment building to do a removal job.  The colony had swarmed and the virgins were in the process of emerging.  I had brought only 1 queen cage to the job and so had to place the other dozen virgins in paper towel cages...

>>I can't tell you about afterswarms--don't know.

I've come to suspect that once the bees' mind is made up to afterswarm, 4 days of cold, rainy days will not change it.  It seems they can keep loose virgins on the frames from killing each other.

>>However, swarming as soon as the weather breaks is common.  And some of those colonies are severely depopulated after swarming, so I'm guessing that there were afterswarms.

>>I've also seen bees keeping emerging virgins prisoners in their
cells--piping like mad.

I've seen that, too.  In fact, I could hear the piping as soon as the inner cover was lifted.  I observed a virgin in an uncapped cell trying to get passed the bees at the opening.  I'd love to know how the bees' collective mind works.  There's certainly a lot of consensus and coordination occuring in at least 25% (my guess) of the colony.

>>Bob, sounds like you are in a similar situation--what do you see?

Just like Missouri, we have received our share of cold, rainy weather here in sout-east NY.  The worst of it seems to be behind us.

My colonies have build up fast and strong without supplemental feeding. The inclement weather has starked the swarm drive.  Have to inspect weekly to stay ahead of any swarms.  The weather has been ok in the last 3 days or so.  Lots of watery nectar in the cells everywhere.  Autumn olives are blooming.  Black locust should be blooming in 2-3 weeks.

Waldemar

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned 
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2