Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 2009 15:26:40 -0600
>> I do not place credit solely at the colony level for the hardier bee,
>> But  IMO, much of the credit goes to the population as a whole and its
>> sustainability against disease and pests.

> What I'm finding in the population that I deal with (my managed colonies
> plus the escapees and ferals within mating distance) that there is a bell
> curve of mite resistance across the board.

OK.  We are in agreement that the background adaptation to the latest
scourges has been rising, but what I am asking is where the adaptation is
coming from.

We know that big money was spent on the Primorsky project, that some AHB are
resistant, also that various people have taken bees from Arizona and Texas
all around the US.  We know that Lusbys and Weavers in those areas claim
bees that are resistant to varroa, at least in their own locality (I'm
asking for reports from other regions).   We know that the SMR, now VSH bees
have been widely distributed, and also that people like Adam are selling
bees from stock that has been untreated for a decade or so.  I am sure there
are other commercial stocks that claim resistance.

SO, what I want to know is not just that people are seeing some reduction in
susceptibility, but some good guesses as to where the adaptive traits are
coming from.  Are they from the spread of Primorsky stock, VSH escapees,
AHB, commercial resistant stock, etc. into the wild bee stock, or are they
spontaneously and independently evolving in the various localities?

I'd like some brand names of commercial volume queen suppliers besides
Weavers and Glenns who are offering varroa resistant stock.