Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 2009 00:33:55 GMT
Subject:
From:
>I’m not sure there is a such thing as 100 percent resistance.

No problem with that thought.  Some have suggested the term tolerance as better suited.  I'll go along with whatever term best describes the colonies.

All I wish for is a clear rating system and a baseline.  We can define resistance/tolerance in terms of the number of treatments required to keep the colonies productive.  For example:

1). 4 treatments a year (as Bob H. suggested for pollinators)
2). 3 treatments a year
3). 2 treatments a year
4). 1 treatment a year
5). 1 treatment every other year

My tolerance level is 1 treatment a year w/ OA for a colony producing 200 lbs plus of honey in one season.  This is my current standard.  It takes a lot of bees (brood) to make 200 lbs of honey.  Plenty of opportunity for varroa to do its thing and make bees miserable.

Waldemar