From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2008 06:50:24 -0800
Allen Dick:
> Moreover, her "bounce back" was more of a 'creep back" and was accomplished over a long period, with great cost,

Reply:
I keep getting many emails on this one sentence by Allen Dick, But realize he was gone awhile from the list here. I am being told to clarify the time frame so this is what I am doing pertaining to the recent CCD loss I had and have moved on from. It occurred Sep 2007 with Dr Loper taking samples Oct 2007. Dr Loper came back out 29 Oct 2008 and went thru colonies again with me and saw no further problems, and infact helped me take a barrel of honey to extract.

. Prior to this Dean and Ramona came out in April 2008 to learn handsm on how to do walk away splits from strong colonies, and to workup colonies for spring management. t

 Old eqjuip from the 7 CCD yards was reused, with nothing done to it. Just splits from strong colonies surviving merely put back into it with contents of bees, brood, and stores.. Nothing hard. Weak colonies had left to die and/or live, and strong surviving I went on with that made it thru. Saw nosema NO PROBLEM as identified by Dr Bromenshenk,...... and by the way with recent discussion here saying DeLaplane had found both types of nosema in most all samples looked at for nosema now, taken years ago, I went into my files and found even older samples taken,..... that if still avail..... labs and Dr Bromenshenk might want to look at more also, to see how far back both kinds of nosema can be found.

 Oldest samples I have found Id for nosema were in 1959 at Beltsville, Md, looking at samples from all around the USA from bee colonies kept in the USA, that for some reason showed origin of bees also from Australia! Total samples of bees analyed for problems was 214 accessions for diagnosis in the period July-Sept 1959 and GET THIS.............of the troubled samples sent in for analysis for problems of AFB, EFB, Para, Sac, Nosema, Sept, Insecticide poisoning andn Acarine, etc, .................the ones from Austraila were nosema SPECIFIC with 17 positive of 23 samples looked at from the bees/hvies.............so question in my mind: What they doing in USA? but then also know research back then traded around so...........perhaps no big deal. But other states in USA then showing POSITIVE  samples for Nosema that also included the other maladies from same samples and showing positive for AFB, EFB, para, Sac, Sept, Acarine, insective poisoning were:
 Maryland, New York, North Carolina with the states checking and showing negative for nosema: Arizona, Louisiana, Montana, New Jersey, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming..........oddly all these places in my mind have research or had research labs. So Dr Delaplane needs perhaps to go back to these old samples too to look at to see how early both nosema varities are to be found in our USA.

But getting back to what Allen Dick said for creep back over a logn period............this was just not true, but was last fall in 2007 with turn around in spring aleady with splits being made with coincides with old recommendede ways of dealing with nosema, except I did not use treatments as don't beleive in then, nor artifricial feeds but instead used live and let die and breed from the strong and let the weak go.and also for the record each yard has made a barrel of honey and some more!! immediate year following.

So what Allen is thinking of what I was doing in 1980s and 1990s certainly needs to be updated in his thoughts. But knowing how he was gone, see no real problem for he was out of the loop and until someone explains more the time frame he is just responding as he is aware. .....though not current, but hopefully this will update the matter and also with recent discussions here give others reading a chance now to go back further officiall looking at nosema to see how long both types have actually in in USA and being in USA knowing that Canada and Austrailia interchange, perhaps records should also now be looked at in Canada deeper for knowing also!

Now, let me say, I can dig deeper into my files should it be wanted with more for discussion.

respectfully submitted,

Dee A. Lusby