From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2008 08:18:22 -0700
Hi Bob,
I'm curious about this statement:
> Because tylosin as no effect on EFB then EFB once it gets a foothold can spread through an outfit.

Dr Mussen also told me that it is not effective against EFB.  However,
Tylosin has FDA registration against both AFB and EFB.  The catalogs
list it as a cure for nonspecific "foulbrood."  An Australian paper
lists it as being effective against EFB.

I've been searching the literature, but am not finding much info on
the efficacy of tylosin against EFB.  However, in a few colonies that
I've had that appeared to be suffering from EFB, a couple of tylosin
dustings appeared to be effective at eliminating whatever disease they
had.

I'm interested in your field experience and reports.  Are commercial
beeks finding tylosin to be ineffective against EFB?

> Hives are being forced to raise brood for longer times of the year in order to make grade in almonds and also produce brood for splits.  Raising brood means raising varroa.

This is a great point.  Those new to late summer supplementary feeding
will need to adjust their mite management strategies, since late
feeding ramps up varroa levels.

> Keeping bees in hives by splitting whenever hives are strong enough to split
> has saved many operations. Most large operators spilt more than once a year
> now.

This is a common factor that I hear from successful almond
pollinators.  I also use it to good effect myself.  Each time you
split, varroa gets set back.

> In fact we have both noticed that what is different today is that *virus* issues
> are *now* being found in hives which are *not* over varroa threshold.

Yes, something has clearly changed in the past several years!

>Once the beek gets control of nosema C. and other problems I see less PMS in hives with
> varroa loads below threshold.

This recurrence of what we call "PMS" after not seeing it for a number
of years (at least in my operation) is of great interest to me.  I
certainly saw it in a number of colonies in my nosema test yard, but
not in the majority, despite infections in the 5M spore range.  I do
not doubt that nosema is a problem, but I'm suspecting that there are
more important factors.

> If still reading my point is that PMS and EFB look very similar

I'm still reading : )
Yes, very hard for me to tell apart.  I may be forced to learn some
new microscopy methods.  The big question is what actually is "PMS"?
It's a syndrome, not necessarily a specific pathogen.

> which can lead to deadout boxes being repopulated later in the
> season (or right away) giving rise to new EFB problems in new splits.

Good point!  The main difference that I see in my nosema test yards is
that colonies with good brood patterns appear to thrive, whereas those
with spotty brood patterns (due to who knows what) stay stuck, or go
downhill.

Has anyone on the List used Mann Lake's premixed TM/crisco patties?
Please contact me off list.

Randy Oliver