From:
Eric Simms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2008 08:14:25 -0700
"What's up with black widow spiders? ... They are a gorgeous spider, but pretty harmful to us
humans. And now I see them regularly on my hives (usually right under
the lip of a hive top.)"

Word to the wise and all beekeepers in general:  wear gloves.  I got tired of getting stung by wasps and hornets hanging out on bee equipment.  Everything that bites and stings is attracted to bees, beehives and equipment.  Gloves don't have to take away dexterity, pick the right glove for the job.  That can include the tight fitting thin blue nitrile rubber gloves like EMTs wear - they will protect you from bites, stings, chemicals, propolis, etc.  Wear your leather gloves where you can get punctures, cuts, etc.  If you don't wear your Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), you have made a conscious decision to accept personal harm from all known sources and some unanticipated sources.  G'Luck.  But you need more than luck: you need PPE!    >8 )
Eric the Chemical Engineer from Howe, TX