From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 2008 05:22:27 -0500
Hello Randy & All,
Randy said:
The singles with
> 8-10 good frames of bees appear to be fine.  However, a few weaker
> colonies
> apparently couldn't ventilate adequately, and lost a number of adults
> (don't
> know where they went, but not on the ground), and killed some sealed
> brood.

Interesting.

I have seen the above in fall with eggs & larva before when hot but never in
spring. Also never lost sealed brood to my knowledge but maybe happened and
did not notice the  pulled and tossed brood.

As i said in another post seeing a small amount of brood kill is a sign the
varroa kill level is correct. A large amount and the formic level is too
high *or* as Randy said the bees can not ventilate the hive.
Actually many said exactly what Mike and Randy observed with formic as the
dosage for hives is not always the same. The dosage can vary which is what
Bill Rusika  has said from the start. I always wondered about the single
formic dose but realize each beek needs to make adjustments as necessary.

One adjustment is to cut a slice in the top of the formic package if temps
drop towards the last days of treatment. However not recommended by David V.
when I told David some beeks used the method.
The method increases the dosage during the last seven days in my opinion.
You only need a six inch cut in the plastic and not cutting the pad. I have
had fall temps when I had to remove the pads due to temps which is a pain
but according to David V. only needs done if the temps are high in the first
7 days,

In spring I have got all bees in doubles and a few in triples. In fall a few
in singles.

Because of hot fall weather I currently  use apigard in fall ( 3 -25 ml.
doses). i had minor problems with eggs/ larva brood kill with two 50 ml.
doses but  still up the dose on bees in triples and strong.

The only problem with apigard on my bees is the strength of my hives. The
bees clean and remove the holder in less than 7 days many times. All left if
the foil top or completely chewed and tossed out the entrance.

I am in the process of making a holder for apigard the bees can't chew and
remove. So far so good in trials.

bob

Ps. I recommend both miteaway 2 & apigard