From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2008 06:37:48 -0400
>"The colour of flowers from which bees collect nectar determines a honey's
>colour.

Complete nonsense. The lightest honey I have ever seen is that from black
button sage (Salvia mellifera) which is a very strong smelling plant with
blue flowers. The darkest I have had is buckwheat, which has white or pink
flowers.

Very light honey comes from alfalfa, which flowers are often dark purple.
Although, in the Imperial Valley of California the same plant produces an
amber honey, most likely due to the intense high temperatures. Avocado honey
is very dark, the flowers are pale yellow.

The mint family is one of the great honey producing families and has mostly
small light colored flowers. The honey ranges from light to dark depending
on the species. Rosemary and sage are usually light, thyme and lavender
usually dark, etc.

pb